Entry requirements

RHUL International Study Centre

English language entry requirements*

International Foundation Year (IFY)
Academic IELTS for UKVI* 5.0 overall (minimum 5.0 in writing)

English Language Preparation Programme (ELPP)
Academic IELTS for UKVI*
1 term  4.5 overall

* If you do not need a Tier 4 visa, or are exempted in another way, we can accept equivalent proof of English. The English language entry requirements stated are for information regarding entry to the course. If you require a UK visa to study, depending on the type of visa you need, the English language requirements and valid English tests to satisfy the UK visa criteria may differ.

If you are applying to study in the UK under the Tier 4 student route it may be necessary for you to submit a Secure English Language Test (SELT) as part of your visa application.

Find out more about valid test providers and approved test centre locations for tests taken on or after 6 April 2015. To find out if you are exempt from the SELT requirement and to find out about acceptable English language tests please contact us.


Students usually have a minimum of 12 years in education with good grades. Students with 11 years of schooling may be accepted in exceptional cases. AS levels and IB certificate are also acceptable.


The International Foundation Year is only available to international students, non-UK and non-EU.


Students need to be at least 17 years old when they start the course.

Important information for Music applicants

Students wishing to undertake the IFY with a view to progressing onto an undergraduate degree in Music will need to demonstrate an ability to play to a proficient level. Certificates of achievement, a YouTube video (submitted to the Head of Centre) or playing live to the department may be used as evidence to demonstrate your practical skill level. You will also be required to demonstrate your knowledge of music theory as evidence.

An additional condition of entry in progressing from the IFY to an undergraduate degree in Music will be dependent on students reaching the equivalent of a Grade 7 in music theory and practical performance. Additional practical and theory music tuition can be provided on top of your IFY tuition. A short interview and audition may be required to assess your level in order to make a decision on whether you are permitted to progress to a Music degree programme at Royal Holloway.

Important note: Please visit the Progression degrees page for details of particular undergraduate degrees which require additional academic entry requirements or practical experience. Depending on your chosen degree, you may be required to submit evidence of an additional requirement(s) as condition of an offer of a place for the IFY.

What our students say

“I think the degrees here will help me to find a good job, hopefully with a high wage.”

Xin (Karl) from China studied the Business and Economics pathway