International Study Centre

Apply for a student visa

or apply now today.

Do I need a student visa?

In order to study in the UK at the Royal Holloway International Study Centre, you will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

How do I apply for a student visa?

Student visa applications work via a points-based system; if you score 40 points you will be granted a visa. The application process is as follows:

  • Apply for your chosen course at the Royal Holloway International Study Centre.
  • Receive an offer.
  • Send your paperwork to be checked by the International Study Centre. The required documents include financial statements, a TB certificate, IELTs scores, and academic grades if you have already received them. You will also pay your deposit and Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) fee at this point.
  • Receive a CAS. This is worth 30 points.
  • Apply for your visa, pay the application fee, and include financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the course and your living costs. This will get you a further 10 points.
  • You may also be required to attend a credibility interview.
  • If you pass your credibility interview and the required checks, you will be issued with a visa.

When should I apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before the start date of your course at the International Study Centre. How long it will take depends on which country you are applying from. Make sure you apply early so that there is enough time for your application to be processed.

How long can I stay in the UK on a student visa?

If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you are allowed to arrive in the UK up to one month before your course starts. You can stay in the UK for an extra four months after your course ends.

Visa credibility interviews

What is a credibility interview?

Applicants from some countries are required to attend a credibility interview (also known as a visa interview). These are carried out by an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to establish that you are a genuine student, and are not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. You should take the interview seriously, but it is nothing to worry about; you just need to show that you have done your research and are serious about studying in the UK.

Where will my credibility interview take place?

You will be interviewed at the visa application centre in your country when you submit your visa application documents. You will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff in the UK via a video link.

How should I prepare for my credibility interview?

It is in your interest to be engaged in the interview process, and demonstrate your personal interest in attending the International Study Centre. Make sure you have researched the University and your chosen course. Avoid yes and no answers, and try and go into more detail. The Entry Clearance Officer may be suspicious if they think you are repeating rehearsed answers.

What questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?

Below are examples of questions you may be asked during your credibility interview:

  • Why do you want to study at Royal Holloway?
  • How did you choose your course?
  • How will you fund your time in the UK?

What if my student visa application is refused?

If your visa application is rejected by the UKVI, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review to the UKVI and challenge the decision made by the ECO. You will need to respond individually to each of the points raised in the refusal.


Willow working on a laptop

University preparation programmes are your pathway to Royal Holloway. Choose between three routes for the International Foundation Year or improve your language skills with the English Language Preparation Programme.